New Frankin Fire Dept. used their training from the state certified course to save another life. When first responders called the station and asked them to respond to the call the fire fighters moved into action. All EMS from the area knew that New Frankin F.D. had been trained and had epinephrine autoinjectors on hand. Way to go!!!
Another participant of the ‘Do It For Dillon’ annaphylaxis training program received a frantic call from his mother in law that she was in distress after eating a vending machine sandwich. With severe swelling to the face, hives all over and a very hoarse voice she realized it was possibly life threatening. She knew he was trained and had epinephrine autoinjectors. Arriving within minutes he administered the autoinjector and symptoms started to subside. She now has her very own epinephrine autoinjector. He is now her favorite son in law:)
We have held several classes in August. 5 in the last week. Gibraltar Fire and Rescue hosted a course out on Chambers Island, Wi. Department employees and summer inhabitants of the island all joined in. Professional medical folks and parents of severely allergic kids all commented that even though they have lived or worked with this life threatening health issue they still “learned something new”. It is very rewarding to me knowing I am helping folks to become more prepared and confident in recognizing anaphylaxis and teaching them how to administer 4 different brands of autoinjectors. The boat ride out and back was absolutely breathtaking!!! Talk about an office view!!
Xtreme Trucking, Maribel, Wi. hosted a class for its employees. Another very well informed group after completion. Now certified the employees who travel to other states may now administer to anyone who they believe is suffering from a severe allergic reaction, anywhere, and be covered by the good samaritan protections of the law. Instructor evaluations once again showed me that even knowledgeable participants “learned something new”. All evaluations are positive and uplifting.
Reedsville, Wi. school district had us teach their teachers and they too learned new things. 70 participants total including the principal and the school nurse. Schools since 2013 are allowed to carry “stock epinephrine” for the kids and visitors with UNDIAGNOSED allergies or those who don’t have their medication with them. Epipen4schools.com will give public schools FREE epinephrine autoinjectors to each building, a carrying case to mount on the wall and a DVD for the school nurse to instruct staff. Does your school carry epinephrine autoinjectors? What about that undiagnosed 4k student who goes into fatal anaphylaxis in 1-15 minutes after eating a suspect allergen? I’ve heard stories of students dying in the cafeteria because they weren’t diagnosed or their epinephrine was in the office in a locked cabinet. Our son Dillon was unconscious in 10 TEN minutes. Heed this warning so that you are never ever in our shoes. Good Job Reedsville School District for protecting your students, staff and visitors!!
New Frankin Wi. Fire Dept. was trained by Angel Mueller and her husband George last winter. They also supplied the Fire Department with their very own epinephrine autoinjectors to use in the event of an emergency.
Yesterday a call came in that a male was having labored breathing after being stung by a bee. A member of the fire department quickly arrived at the scene and administered the epinephrine autoinjector just as he was trained to do and within minutes the gentleman was feeling much better. Observation was given at a local hospital until it was safe for him to return home. Dillons life wasn’t saved but because of the efforts and determination of his parents these families can enjoy their loved one.
“Had it not been for Angel and George training the Maribel Sportmans club members, things would have went down hill quick. Another bit longer and I would have been to the point of no return. We knew the club had pens and went there right away! Dillons Law saved my life and needs to be nationwide to protect everybody.”
Even though no one in my family needs an epinephrine auto injector, I decided to take
the “Do It for Dillon” anaphylaxis training sponsored by the Osteopathic Physicians. My
family often goes to motocross races that span several states and camp on the track
grounds. These places can be far from a city, a clinic, or an emergency room. An
anaphylaxis emergency can happen anywhere at any time and can be caused by many
different things from food allergies to insect bites. I wanted to be prepared in case
someone had an anaphylaxis episode, so I could help them. When I took the “Do It for
Dillon” anaphylaxis training as taught by Angel Mueller in Wisconsin, I felt that it was
very informative and easy to understand. After completing the course, I had all the
knowledge and confidence to be able to administer an epinephrine auto injector, if
needed. I would compare learning how to use an epinephrine auto injector with learning
how to do CPR. You learn it in hopes you never have to use it, but are trained and
prepared in case you would have to use it. I never expected to actually have to
administer an epinephrine auto injector, but I was called upon to do this very thing at, of
all places, a race track in Michigan. A young rider got stung by a bee twice in his chest
while racing his dirt bike. Even though there were EMT’s at the track, they did not have
an epinephrine auto injector. His throat was starting to close and he was having trouble
breathing. I was able to use my “Do It for Dillon” anaphylaxis training to quickly and
safely administer the epinephrine auto injector. In a matter of seconds, the young rider
was feeling better! Best of all, he is alive today to tell of his experience and to be able
to live his life, doing all the things he wants to do, including racing dirt bikes! The state
of Minnesota has since signed Dillon’s Law, because of this incident and the hard work
of the Muellers and the Osteopathic Physicians. I am very thankful every day that the
Muellers decided to turn the tragedy of their son, Dillon, dying from a tiny bee sting into
a nationwide quest of saving lives with the help of Osteopathic Physicians and Dillon’s
Law. Without them, I would not have been able to SAVE A LIFE!
Please support Dillon’s Law, because DILLON’S LAW SAVES LIVES!
Hello Mrs. Mueller,
I am Kara Pankratz, I grew up in Saint Nazianz, WI. I have been struggling with allergies for
over ten years now. I began shot treatments through Aurora Healthcare when I was about 13
years old. During those three years that I had my shot treatment I still had no control over my
allergies. My allergies are to all animal dander, with cattle dander being the worst. About a year
and half ago, I began having anaphylactic shock to cattle dander. I was always able to tell about
10 minutes before my throat would begin closing so I was always able to get medical attention in
time. However, at this time I was still not prescribed an EpiPen, which would have been
lifesaving if I was not able to seek medical attention in time. I simply, to say the least, was
extremely lucky, however, in most cases, including Dillon’s, this is not the case.
Since I was not prescribed an EpiPen, I made the decision to try allergy shot treatment again in
order to get control over my allergies with hopes of stopping the anaphylactic shock. This was
approximately three weeks ago. When I saw the doctor again today, he prescribed me an EpiPen
without even requesting it. I asked my doctor why, now, after many years of having severe
allergies and having anaphylactic shock as well, that I am finally prescribed an EpiPen. He
explained to me that it is now become their protocol to prescribe ALL patients with ANY type of
allergy an EpiPen in order to prevent a tragic reaction. This news was great to hear knowing that
many people have anaphylactic shock suddenly, without any further indication of previous issues
with it. On top of finding out their willingness and adamant supplying of the EpiPen to all
patients, they are also giving all patients a card to use when they pick up their EpiPen which
covers up to $100 of the copay. I was able to get my EpiPen for free and still have another $75 to
use on future pick-ups of my EpiPen.
With all of my struggles, and knowing personally how hard it was to get an EpiPen, I want to
thank you and your family. Your efforts are being recognized by the medical field and they are
making efforts to make sure another tragic loss does not happen again. While EpiPens are still
not available non-prescription at this moment, I do believe soon they will be. Again, thank you
endlessly. God bless you and your family for your courageous work helping others have this
preventative measure to save their own lives.
– Kara Pankratz
Minnesota SF-1257 “Dillon’s Law” Passed Minnesota Senate Today and will be signed by the Governor in the coming days. The law takes effect August 1, 2019.
Special thanks to Senator Jeremy Miller of District 28 and his team for helping make this happen.